There’s a certain form of torture that us travelers can’t help but inflict on ourselves. It’s watching other people do amazing things and then moping around for weeks because of this simple fact: it’s not us out there in the great blistering nowhere, screaming into the mad winds or sailing the high seas. We’re watching it on a damn computer screen, and that’s no way to live, at least not without frequent and sustained breaks. Gotta fuel the engine o’ life, eh?
But here’s another way to look at it. Most of us work five days a week, right? That leaves two full days (more if you duck out of the office early on Friday and get the hell away) to wage a soul war on the world. If a 2+-year-long trip circumnavigating the globe just isn’t in the cards, then let’s at least commit to making the most of our weekends. We’ve compiled five videos of self-propelled adventure travel to light a fire in your eyes. Some of these trips go on and on, maybe months or years. Some are a few days. All are kickass. And there’s no reason we can’t find inspiration in them and then get out there ourselves.
1) The Goodwin Family is touring the world as we speak. This video is the trailer for what will become a full-length film.
2) Fat-bike-rafting Alaska’s Lost Coast
3) Costa Rica: Get Living – Gather your friends, carve out some time, and do something like this:
4) Kayak / Fatbike / Beer – A Glorious Lake Powell Weekend
5) An Epic Chilean Expedition
By Bryan Schatz